For anyone looking to kick-start their career within Communications and PR, we are delighted to announce the launch of Portland’s Graduate Programme, starting September 2017.
Portland is a fast-growing strategic communications and public affairs consultancy firm founded in 2001 by Tim Allan. We want to hire and develop the best graduate talent to help our business continue to thrive. We are looking for individuals who stand out from the crowd and have the right combination of academic qualifications, work experience and potential.
The successful applicants will be based within one of Portland’s practice groups, but will gain experience across all our capabilities, which include:
• Corporate Communications
• Public Affairs
• Philanthropy, Global Campaigns and Disputes
• Government Advisory
• Healthcare & Science Communications
• Local Campaigns
• Employee Engagement
The graduate consultant will work on rotation on a fast rotation for 2 months around the teams and then 4 months dedicated in their chosen team.
• Tracking issues in the media relevant to designated clients;
• Sourcing and preparing detailed draft media analysis reports for approval by relevant Account Executives and Account Managers;
• Researching and sourcing information as directed by Account Executives and Account Managers for designated client projects;
• Management of press cuttings, including preparing monthly/quarterly coverage books;
• Preparing activity reports for clients;
• Helping to draft press releases, opinion articles, website copy, background material etc;
• Conducting ring rounds, and building journalist contacts;
• Preparing journalist biographies and briefing notes for clients;
• Preparing and maintaining media distribution lists for press releases;
• Researching and managing forward calendars of key media and current affairs events relevant to designated clients;
• Monitoring political, parliamentary, media and social media activity on a daily basis;
• Researching and sourcing information as directed by team members for designated client projects;
• Undertaking research for new business proposals and suggesting new lines of potential business based on analysis of political and regulatory events;
• Preparing media distribution lists for press releases; government distribution lists; and wider stakeholder lists;
• The role will include digital research; social media analysis; content planning; online influencer mapping and creative input;
• Have a good feel for communications work
• To develop close working relationships with client development teams to deliver a programme in support of the scheme’s development objectives
• To oversee the production of communications materials, press releases, newsletters, boards, website copy etc.
Competences applicable to the post:
• You must: have the ability to conduct comprehensive analysis of information to tight deadlines ensuring accuracy and relevance;
• have excellent writing skills;
• be logical, creative and flexible in the appraisal of problems;
• be proficient in the use of research and Internet tools and word processing.
• be able to take direction and report progress on your work with others;
• be organised and able to manage your own workload;
• be passionate about politics and elections.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive it is unfortunately not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 2-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.